Tuesday, September 1, 2020

“Let Me Taste”





     This is my first post, and I shall gladly write of His grace and goodness. This is who He is: gracious and good. 

     I never knew GOD intimately, at least not until my fourth year at university, 22. Born into a Christian family, it should not have taken me that long. My mother accepted Jesus Christ as LORD and Saviour in high school, going on to become a Pastor. My father was saved soon after joining military service, twenty-eight years ago. I was born to them three years into their marriage, a second child.

     I attended Sunday school from very early, crammed and recited Bible verses, joined the children choir, got baptized soon after primary school.  I remember taking the prayer of salvation several times as well. Later on in high school and university, I attended Christian Union fellowships and all-night revivals. This is the routine of most children brought up in Christian households. I did it all, not because I enjoyed it, but because it always felt like the right thing to do, the godly act. I was expected to, anyway, background considered. It would please God, so I thought, and I would gain right standing with Him. I knew there were two 'forces' — God and the devil. My parents, and even the world around, said God was the good one. I was on His side based solely on this knowledge. But there did not exist a personal relationship with Him. 

     This is the case with most youth: we have knowledge of God, but NO RELATIONSHIP. 

     I had had numerous moving encounters with Him over the years notwithstanding— when reading The Bible, hearing some preaching, witnessing miracles, seeing a great act of kindness by a fellow Christian, my parents attributing every success we had to Him, and many more. Such moments would initiate a conversation within myself— that this God is indeed good; that it is good to be identified with Him; that I would like to know Him more, be blessed of Him, loved by Him. Yet, I never captured these moments to use them to establish a personal, intimate relationship with God, because, growing up with believers for parents, I had a grip of what committing to Him would mean: a total flip-over in the very substance of my life— mannerisms, beliefs, reasoning, environment.  

     I stalled. 
   
     Life after high school, and University, brings with it a drastic life change for the young man, ever so for the 'encaged' one who has, for as long as they can remember, painstakingly dwelt under the watchful eye of a parent, or anyone they are accountable to. For as long as they remember, their actions have been weighed against an intricate set of rules. They feel controlled, angry, trapped, the magma of youthful energy in them looking for a line of weakness to break through free. They crave freedom, grabbing it with both hands on the few instances when they find, however short-lived. They scamper through this stage, given hope by the welcome knowledge that after turning eighteen they  will own some ID. 

     Free at last, free at last. 

     You are now here, ushered into a world of freedom and immense opportunities. You got no one on your back, no one smothering the life out of you, no one watching and scolding, no check-points on your way. Your young mind and body ache for fun. Whenever will meets opportunity, you do what you want to do. Chances at pleasure come thick and fast, served on a silver platter, to detrimental effect, and most times you do not realise it. As for me, life became meaningless. My spiritual life, especially, was as good as dead. Any existing link with God was effectively cut. I remember one day back home, during a break in the semester, standing up to my father when he questioned my commitment to (his) God. “God? What about Him? I serve no one! I am not that stupid kid anymore. I can think for myself and choose what I want concerning my life.” He looked at me, shocked, and shaking his head remarked, “I never imagined there would come a day when any of my children would turn their backs on God.”

     Blessed be The LORD Most High, most merciful, most gracious, most loving— The LORD slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love and faithfulness— who at this point could (justifiably) have let loose of my soul and cast me off as outlaw for ever, effectively condemning and sealing my eternity to hell (hell is real.) Had I not just plainly renounced Him? And for what reason? Was He not the One who had given me life (His very breath), and sustained me all along? Was not every success I had wrought so far possible because of His mercies and goodness? Had He not held out for me on the countless occasions when I had given the enemy window to destroy my life because of my sinful actions, done in persistent violation and disregard of my conscience? He surely had, and unbeknownst to me, this very same God had a purpose for my life (as is with all mankind.) He was not done with me: He would linger, fervently, waiting for me to have a real TASTE OF HIS GOODNESS first: [Oh, taste and see that The Lord  is good; blessed is the man who trusts in Him! Psalms 34:8.] The moment indeed came, when frustation, anger and despair ignited the need to find something or somebody that could not only pull me back together, but also define the purpose for which I was in existence. 

     My Maker. 

     Yet it does not have to take pain, misfortune, disappointment, loss or misery to draw near to Him, for HIS GRACE THAT LEADS TO SALVATION IS HERE, now, yet for a time. 

     For the grace of GOD that brings salvation has appeared to all men, teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly in the present age, looking for the blessed hope and glorious appearing of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ, who gave Himself for us, that He might redeem us from every lawless deed and purify for Himself His own special people, zealous for good works. Titus 2:11‭-‬14. 

 Taste and see that He is good, The LORD Jesus Christ. Discount Him not before you do. Get personal today. He eagerly awaits. 






 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment